Hand Pain Treatment Questions and Answers
Are you suffering from hand or wrist pain? Our experienced pain management doctors at Hudson Sport & Spine can help. Our doctor & his team of providers specialize in pain management & provide a variety of treatment options for patients in Hoboken, NJ. For more details please call us or book an appointment online. We serve patients from Hoboken NJ, Jersey City NJ, Weehawken NJ, West New York NJ, Guttenberg NJ, Secaucus NJ, Harrison NJ, Kearny NJ, Newark NJ, Belleville NJ, North Bergen NJ and Lyndhurst NJ.
With hand pain, even the simplest of tasks can be challenging. This can be extremely frustrating and can interfere with the everyday tasks you need to complete as a responsible individual. That is why we, at Hudson Sport & Spine in Hoboken, NJ, want to help you recover and move on from hand pain. We have a team of physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, and acupuncture specialists who will tend to your hand pain with care and expertise.
What Qualifies as Hand Pain?
Because the body is so intricately connected, hand pain does not only affect the hand, but it also directly affects the wrist and forearm in addition to your fingers, thumbs, palms, etc. For example, tendonitis is considered hand pain, but because your tendons stretch from your fingers through your forearm, that whole area is affected by the inflamed tendon. Tendonitis is a repetitive strain injury, meaning that it is usually caused by overuse, and makes it difficult to complete actions such as making a fist or grasping and holding certain objects. Other examples of hand pain include:
- Trigger Finger: The clinical name for this is stenosing tenosynovitis. Trigger finger is characterized by a popping or clicking sensation when the affected finger or thumb is moved. It happens when your flexor tendons become irritated, which thickens the sheath that surrounds them, impeding their free movement. Consequently, the finger becomes locked or caught in a specific position. It can be quite painful.
- Carpal Tunnel: This nerve disorder typically worsens at night, and is felt in the palm, fingers, wrist, and forearm. It is characterized by a numbing or tingling sensation, and the affected area may feel very weak. Carpal tunnel occurs when irritated or inflamed tendons constrict or pinch the median nerve, which is responsible for the muscular impulses in your thumb and fingers.
- Arthritis: The two most common forms of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid (inflammatory) arthritis. The difference between the two is that osteoarthritis is a degenerative disorder, which means that your joints and bones naturally break down with time; however, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder, which means that your body actively attacks itself by considering the soft lining that protects your joints to be a threat.
There are other forms of hand pain that we treat at Hudson Sport & Spine. If you are concerned about your hand pain, and the above conditions do not match your symptoms, we would be pleased to meet with you to discuss treatment options.
What Services Do You Provide for Hand Pain?
Depending on the nature of your hand pain, our specialists can develop a customized treatment plan so that you can recover from your ailment and strengthen the affected areas. We provide the following services at Hudson Sport & Spine:
- Physical Therapy: Our physical therapists will provide you with soft tissue mobilization, active or active assisted range of motion exercises, heat application and more services.
- Acupuncture: If you have carpal tunnel, acupuncture is a great option, as it relieves pain and helps the median nerve heal. Acupuncture awakens your body’s natural pain-killers so that you don’t have to rely on opioids or painkillers.
- Massage Therapy: Massage therapy is a great option for wrist pain, as it helps improve blood flow and relaxes the muscles in the affected area. Issues with tendons often occur from tense muscles, so keeping your muscles relaxed with massage therapy is important for your hand and wrist health.
- Chiropractic Therapy: We also provide chiropractic therapy at Hudson Sport & Spine. Our certified chiropractors will treat your musculoskeletal structure, that is the muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones, and cartilage that make up your hand and wrist through gentle manipulation and mobilization of the joint, soft tissue therapies, and at-home exercises for you to do.
How Can Acupuncture Help My Wrist Pain?
With acupuncture, certified specialists insert very fine needles through the skin at strategic points of your body. The goal of acupuncture is to stimulate nerves and soft tissue, which increases blood flow and triggers a release of endorphins and enkephalins, i.e., your body’s natural painkillers. Acupuncture is a proven solution for carpal tunnel, and to a lesser extent, arthritis.
If you are affected by hand pain, and live in or near Hoboken, NJ, or would like to learn more about our services, give us a call! You can reach us at (201) 503-3650, or you can book an appointment online. We are located at 70 Hudson Street Suite 2B, Hoboken, NJ. Our offices are open during the following hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.