If you suffer from debilitating or chronic pain, have you considered seeing a physical therapist? Physical therapists can help evaluate your pain, provide pain relief, and strengthen the affected area so that your body can function as it should. At Hudson Sport & Spine, we are proud to offer extensive physical therapy options to all ages.
Why Should I Seek Help from a Physical Therapist?
There are many rewards for choosing physical therapy. Physical therapists are trained to restore balance and functionality for individuals who have experienced a traumatic injury or debilitating condition. It is disheartening to lose the ability to function as you used to or should after a traumatic injury or debilitating condition. Physical therapy can help strengthen and heal your body so that you can live life without an injury or condition holding you back.
However, physical therapy is not only for those who have experienced a traumatic injury or suffer from a debilitating condition, it is also for those who want to improve their functional mobility or would like to prevent future injury. If you play sports, physical therapy can help strengthen injury prone areas of your body by correcting things such as posture, gait, and improper body alignment, all things which often lead to injury.
Also, if you have an injury that calls for surgery, physical therapy could be an alternative! Although physical therapy is not a one-and-done fix like surgery usually is (not including recovery time), it is much more inexpensive and less invasive. Physical therapy is also a much more holistic alternative to painkiller medication like opioids.
What Should I Expect from Physical Therapy?
During your first visit to Hudson Sport & Spine for physical therapy, our physical therapists will review your entire medical history, before sitting down with you for a consultation to discuss your health concerns and design a customized treatment plan tailored to your needs. After this consultation, our clinical director will administer a physical assessment of your flexibility, in addition to other standard neurological, orthopaedic, and postural examinations. We require your consent to conduct these examinations. If needed, we will provide X-ray studies to help us and you have an inside look (literally) into what is out of alignment or dysfunctional in your body. After all this is completed, we will discuss your goals with you and begin your treatment.
Our treatment is based on a three-phase plan. The first phase involves relief or initial intensive care, and is focused on bringing pain relief. This first phase typically takes about a month to six weeks, with appointments occurring about two to three times per week. The second phase is where we get into strengthening and correcting your body. This phase will likely involve some discomfort, as the exercises break down scar tissue and your body’s limits are stretched by new movements. For this phase, you will likely require somewhere between eight to ten treatments per month over the course of two to three months. Finally, the third phase is what we call wellness care. With wellness care, your appointments will involve periodic adjustments and massages to prevent re-injury. These appointments typically occur between one to four times per month.
What Treatment Options are There?
At Hudson Sport & Spine, we offer an array of different treatment options, depending on your physical fitness and ability. These include:
- Active Range of Motion: With these exercises, you will learn new movements to move your body through to improve your range of motion without any assistance. If needed, we also offer active assistive range of motion, in which your physical therapist will provide assistance to you when needed.
- Pain Management: We provide both moist heat and cryotherapy (cold therapy), as well as ultrasound therapy, electric stimulation, and more for your pain management.
- Soft Tissue Mobilization: Our physical therapists will help you with manipulative or manual therapy by using a hands-on approach to gently mobilize and manipulate your joints and muscles.
- Gait Analysis: By analyzing how you walk, our therapists can evaluate certain underlying issues causing your pain, and can also make adjustments to correct your gait and relieve pain.
- We also provide isometrics, flexibility and stretching exercises, and more!
If you would like to learn more about our services, or would like to book an appointment with one of our physical therapists for an issue and live in or near Hoboken, NJ, do not hesitate to contact us! You can call us at (201) 503-3650, or book an appointment online.
Our facility is located at 70 Hudson Street Suite 2B, Hoboken, NJ, and our hours of operation are as follows:
- Monday to Thursday – 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Friday – 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday – 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Sunday – Closed